Wednesday, January 21, 2015

The January blues

I've not written much for a while now and to be honest, I can't quite pin point the exact reason. My new job has taken up a lot of my time, both physically and also mentally and then we've had more bad news in terms of family, plus getting grief off the step-daughter's mother (AGAIN), so I haven't really been feeling it.

January actually started off pretty well, unlike normally, as I had a new job so it was exciting times; something fresh and a new challenge and I do absolutely love this job. I am so much happier and the headteacher (who was the deputy head at my old school) even commented saying she was so pleased to see me looking so well and so happy. So in that respect, things are great.

But then there are always issues. As you may know, my Grandad died before Christmas and then just after Christmas we found out that my Grandma (his wife) is also potentially ill too. She's the last of my grandparents and coming to terms with the fact she may not be around long has been difficult. I am trying not to think about it and think positively as it could be something minor, but we are awaiting more news on that.

Then, on a less serious note, our oven went bang. This may seem trivial, but in a month where I had carefully budgeted for food etc, after the excess of December etc. this was not good timing, as I suddenly had to re-think meal plans and buy extra ingredients in that could be used on the hob or in the microwave.

Add to that, even more grief from the step-daughter's mother and the last two weeks has been pretty pants. I don't often talk about hubby's ex on here, I don't like to go into too much detail and I would never want what I say about her to get back to her. But quite frankly, she is behaving like a child. In fact, I teach kids at school who behave more maturely than her and I would say this to her face, so if it were to get back to her it would be no big issue.  It's things like causing issues because instead of the step-daughter texting her to say she was fine and going to school when she had been ill and with us, I text her - she said it was unnecessary and then  made it seem like I was desperate to text her! As if! She then said all communication should be done at the door when we pick the step-daughter up or drop her off - but then she doesn't come to the door. Err, how are we supposed to communicate with you if you can't be arsed to get up from the sofa?! And then there is of course, the fact she is getting married to a criminal. Apparently, hubby and I should be pleased for her! Yes, marrying a criminal, wow haven't you done well for yourself. The final thing was she said that she didn't need to justify to us why she was a stay at home mum. No, she is quite right there, she does not need to justify anything to us at all. Until, however, she then complains to us that she has no money because she is on FIS and doesn't work, therefore we must pay for this and that and various other things, then sorry but it becomes our business and yes you do need to justify it to us if you can't cope. As I've said in the past, Tom pays way more maintenance , based on his salary, than he should, and yet she still hounds us for money. I do realise that there are always going to be issues we don't agree on, but she cannot act maturely, she always resorts to insults or abuse and makes petty comments just to get our backs up.

Charlie has also started the terrible twos I think. One minute he is a delight; hugging us, playing nicely, asking for kisses and then the next he flings himself to the floor or throws himself across the (new) sofa and screams, literally proper screaming and then cries. No idea why. It can be because he dropped his car or it got in his way, or I looked at him the wrong way. He just has a complete melt down for no reason it appears. I know, however that this expression of feelings is his frustration at various things, but it's hard. I miss my snuggly, lovely, calm boy. That said, he has settled like a dream with his new childminder so that's something.

Anyway, I am trying to think happy things; it's soon mine and Charlie's birthday. Charlie is having a bit of a party with a bouncy castle and me, well it's Year 11 parents evening on my birthday so that will be fun. But never mind, it's a Wednesday anyway so I will celebrate it the following weekend. Another thing to look forward to is that it is half term in two weeks! Can you believe it?! This half term is only 5 weeks long, so a very short one. And then after that, my parents are coming over to see us. I've been really missing my Mum and Dad lately; I love living on this island, but it is hard sometimes when you don't have family around.

I've got a few things to look forward to anyway. I have treated myself to a Cath Kidston skirt in the sale and bought a new work bag, so I am looking forward to those arriving. Yes, I know, they are materialistic things, but we all need a treat now and again. I am looking forward to the 1st February. January will be behind us and hopefully things will start to look up. If my Grandma is ill, we will deal with it the best we can and if the step-daughter's mother continues to be a pain, then I will tell her straight. It's only words at the end of the day.

So anyway, I hope to get back to blogging a bit more frequently. I have some recipes I think I will share and of course, I will be back joining in with #littleloves on Friday's.

How's your January so far?

No comments:

Post a Comment