Wednesday, December 12, 2012

The scarier side of pregnancy

What started out as an ordinary week at work certainly took a diversion from the norm this week!

To be quite honest I was dreading the next two weeks at work; I can feel my body starting to slow down and I am getting much more tired, much more easily. But I was determined to carry on until next Friday when I was to finish for Christmas, with two weeks off. The thought that, when I went back in January, I only had four weeks before my official maternity leave was actually quite exciting and I knew that over the next two weeks I needed to get myself organised at work, so I can pass things to the person taking over from me in January.

So I went to work on Monday, spent an hour there and then promptly got knocked (accidentally) on the stairs and fell down them! Fortunately, (or otherwise...) I landed on my knees and went over on my ankle, I didn't fall face down the stairs and to my knowledge I didn't bang my belly or my sides at all. However, the pain in my ankle was IMMENSE! It brings tears to my eyes just to think about it now. I have broken a toe before and whilst I know that's a very minor injury really, the pain was about ten times worse than a broken toe. Of course, being in a school I was determined not to cry in front of students! Although none of them came rushing to my aid! Anyway, somehow, although I still no not know how I managed it, I hobbled to the staffroom where I collapsed in tears and pain. I couldn't put any weight on my foot and by now was starting to get concerned I had broken something!

A colleague called the medical woman and got me an ice pack. The hubby works in the same place as me so they asked me if I would like them to get him. I kept saying 'no he'll go mad!'' But in the end he had to come and take me to A&E as I couldn't walk, my foot was swelling up and the pain was horrid.

So off we went to A&E, had an X ray to check for broken bones, and whilst the doctor said he couldn't see anything obvious, he wasn't sure if there was something broken underneath as there was quite a bit of swelling. So they strapped it up, gave me crutches and sent me on my way with a prescription for diclofenac.

Now, I have taken diclofenac before, and as far as I was aware, you are not supposed to take them in pregnancy. So yesterday I rang the midwife to see what she thought. Incidentally, not once in A&E was the baby checked on or monitored. I did say, obviously, that I hadn't fallen on my bump or banged it, but I would have thought they would check. Anyway, the midwife was very angry with A&E! One for not notifying them at the time and asking for someone to check up on the baby and secondly for giving me diclofenac when you are not supposed to take them. She asked if I had felt baby moving, any bleeding or loss etc and I said that everything had been fine. I thought that would be enough. But no, she said I needed to go up to the hospital to the maternity unit and have them check me over. So, hubby threw some clothes and Pj's into a bag for me, just in case, and off we went in minus temperatures at 5pm.

The midwife at the hospital checked my urine, blood pressure and temperature and besides a slight trace of protein all was well. She then hooked me up to the baby monitor and hubby got to hear the baby's heartbeat for the first time, which was lovely! His heartbeat was nice and strong and after half an hour I thought that would be it. But oh no, I hadn't pressed the button for feeling movements at all during the trace (I hadn't felt him in that half hour) and so I had to stay on the monitor.

This is where I started to panic. I knew that I had felt him move as normal since I fell, but now I was starting to worry that something was wrong, why hadn't he moved in that half hour?! The midwife said food might help to get him moving so I was presented with some food and a hot chocolate and lo and behold he started to move! Phew. After an hour or so, she was happy enough and took me off the monitor. Typically, just as she did, he started doing a jig in my belly and even hubby could see my belly moving across the other side of the room! Sod's law!

Anyway, I was given the all clear to go home, with some strong painkillers and instructions to rest for the next few weeks - since I can't walk or put any weight on my foot, I doubt I will be doing much!

This whole fiasco has shook me up a bit if I'm honest. Everything was going well; I was nearly 29 weeks, had had the growth scan and saw the consultant last week and everything was fine and then I felt like it was all going wrong. I started to worry about the baby moving and getting really freaked out if I didn't feel him for a few minutes.

After a good night's sleep I feel a lot better; I have felt him move most of the time and know that when he isn't, he is probably sleeping or resting.

So, now I am stuck either on the sofa or in bed for at least the next week, using crutches to get around. As they weren't sure if there is something broken or not, I have to go back next week and get it looked at again. I'm hoping by the weekend I can start to put a bit of weight on it again and start trying to walk on it. I feel completely useless and helpless; the hubby has to literally do everything for me. Including, oh the shame, shower me! Not my greatest highlight in life being showered and washed by your hubby I can tell you, but fortunately, I have a lovely hubby who was actually willing to do it. I feel a bit sorry for him, as he still has to go to work and then come home and start tidying up; put washing loads on; make tea etc and then finally about 10pm he can sit down! He hasn't complained, yet, but I am sure he will!

It made me think about what we (or I) take for granted. Even the simple things, like having a cup of tea! I can't negotiate a drink and crutches from the kitchen to the lounge, therefore I am stuck with a flask of tea. Bleurggh. Although, it's better than nothing.

So, not a great start to the week and it's messed up my plans of getting organised at work as I am now off work until January!

Any ideas for hobbies I can take up from the comfort of my sofa??

mummystartingout x


  1. Um, how old are these kids that they didn't realize you fell down? If I was there I would have smacked them upside the back of the head (and then helped you up!).

    And that's some crazy that the doctor didn't even check on your baby. MESSED UP!

    So sorry that happened to you and hope you feel better soon. I can't imagine being pregnant and on crutches. Oy.

    Hang in there. And Happy New Year!

    1. Haha, errrm well they probably did realise but weren't bothered!

      All ok in the end I suppose. Still can't walk properly but getting there!

      Thanks for stopping by and Happy New Year x