Tuesday, November 18, 2014

My favourite story books for children

I often feel guilty, that as an English teacher, I don't read to Charlie enough. I suppose it's like the phrase - 'a bus man's holiday.' I don't want to come home and read books when I've spent all day reading with the kids in class.

However, I do love to read and I love to read to Charlie. He's starting to get involved more now and he turns the pages and is definitely more interested in what's going on in the book.

Below are my favourite story books. Some are for younger children and a few are for older children. They are all on my bookshelf ready to read to Charlie and some get read regularly before bed. I want Charlie to be interested in books; such a bigger world is opened up if you read and of course, with my teacher head on, spelling, vocabulary and general writing skills are greatly improved with continued and regular reading. But I want him to enjoy stories; curling up reading a book that you can't put down, I don't think that should be just a female thing, which unfortunately, I think it is. The boys at school are always reluctant readers; some enjoy it, but it's always the girls who enjoy reading the most. I want Charlie to be passionate about stories and books. My step-daughter always puts books on her Christmas and birthday lists and she loves to read; she's such a good reader and is really competent, so I'm hoping her enthusiasm will pass on to Charlie.

So here are my favourite books, which I hope will pass down to Charlie and make him love books like his mummy.



1. The Gruffalo, Julia Donaldson. Of course, I couldn't do this without including this book. I don't know what it is about this book, but it's a cult book. But it's so good and Charlie loves this one.

2. I Call Him Mr Flubbergump, Anthony Rea. This is written by a friend of my hubby, who lives on the Isle of Man. We were lucky enough to go to a book signing of this at Waterstones on the island, so Charlie has his own personal, signed copy.

3. The Witches, Roald Dahl.  As a teacher, I love reading this book to my students; I do a mean Grand High Witch voice and I always leave the students wondering if any of their teachers really are witches.

4. Five Minutes Peace, Jill Murphy. My Mum used to read this to me when I was a child and I loved it; I have fond memories of curling up at bedtime ready to read this.

5. Can't You Sleep Little Bear? Martin Waddell. Again, my Mum used to read this to me when I was a child, about a little bear that can't go to sleep. It's so sweet.

What are you favourite children's books?



No comments:

Post a Comment